Blog

U.S. helicopters kill several Houthi rebels in latest Red Sea shipping attack | CBC News

The U.S. military said Sunday that its forces opened fire on Houthi rebels after they attacked a cargo ship in the Red Sea, killing several of them in an escalation of the maritime conflict linked to the war in Gaza.

In a series of statements, the U.S. Central Command said the crew of the USS Gravely destroyer first shot down two anti-ship ballistic missiles fired at the Singapore-flagged Maersk Hangzhou late Saturday, after the vessel reported getting hit by a missile earlier that evening as it sailed through the Southern Red Sea.

Four small boats then attacked the same cargo ship with small arms fire early Sunday, and rebels tried to board the vessel, the U.S. navy said.

Next, the USS Gravely and helicopters from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier responded to the Maersk Hangzhou’s distress call and issued verbal warnings to the attackers, who responded by firing on the helicopters.

“The U.S. navy helicopters returned fire in self-defence,” sinking three of the four boats and killing the people on board, while the fourth boat fled the area, the U.S. Central Command said. No damage to U.S. personnel or equipment was reported.

WATCH | The economic impact of the attacks in the Red Sea:

How the Red Sea shipping crisis could raise the cost of almost everything | About That

Recent attacks on ships launched by Yemen’s Houthi militia group have threatened one of the world’s most crucial trade routes — the Suez Canal. As several shipping companies divert their vessels, About That producer Lauren Bird explains the economic ramifications of it all.

According to Reuters, the Houthis said 10 of their naval personnel were “dead and missing” after three of their boats were attacked by U.S. forces in the Red Sea.

Houthi naval forces carried out a missile attack on the Maersk Hangzhou after its crew refused to heed warning calls, the group’s military spokesperson, Yehia Sarea, said in a statement.

The events surrounding the Maersk Hangzhou represented the 23rd illegal attack by the Houthis on international shipping since Nov. 19, the Central Command said. It was the first time the U.S. navy said its personnel had killed Houthi fighters since the Red Sea attacks started.

For more than a month, Iran-backed Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports.

They say their attacks aim to end the Israeli air-and-ground offensive in the Gaza Strip that was triggered by the Palestinian militant group Hamas’s Oct.7 attack in southern Israel.

However, the links to the ships targeted in the rebel assaults have grown more tenuous as the attacks continue.

Company halts shipping

The Denmark-based shipping giant Maersk, owner of Maersk Hangzhou, said Sunday it would suspend shipping through the Red Sea again after the two attacks on its freighter.

“In light of the [most recent] incident — and to give time to investigate the details of the incident and assess the security situation further — it has been decided that all transits through the area will be postponed for the next 48 hours,” Maersk was quoted as saying by the Danish public broadcaster DR.

On Saturday, the top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East said Houthi rebels have shown no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea, even as more nations join the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and as trade traffic begins to pick up.

Earlier this month, Washington announced the establishment of a new international coalition to protect vessels travelling through the waterway. The United Kingdom, Bahrain, Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Seychelles and Spain are also part of the new maritime security mission.

Since the Pentagon announced Operation Prosperity Guardian to counter the attacks just over 10 days ago, 1,200 merchant ships have travelled through the Red Sea region, and none had been hit by drone or missile strikes, Vice-Admiral Brad Cooper told The Associated Press in an interview on Saturday.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button